Skip to main content

Restaurant Grease Fires Still A Threat In Boston, 12 Years After Fatal Fire

By October 2, 2019May 4th, 2022No Comments

After the Tai Ho fire, Boston passed an ordinance requiring all restaurant vent systems be regularly cleaned and inspected by licensed, registered companies. It’s up to those companies, and the restaurants themselves, to make sure they’re in compliance. “They should be reporting deficiencies to us, and that’s all followed up by our department,” said Dempsey.

But last spring, grease ignited in the walls at My Sister’s Crawfish in Dorchester, shutting it down. Last year, South Boston’s Tasty Burger went up in flames. According to the fire inspector’s report, it was also “the result of a grease fire.” It happened a couple of years after a fire at celebrity chef Todd English’s place, Figs. The fire inspector said that was caused by “excessive grease build-up from lack of proper cleaning.”
FREE ESTIMATE 800.300.7832